Frequently Asked Questions
- What is Thunderbolt technology?
- Thunderbolt technology is a transformational high-speed, dual protocol, PC I/O delivering performance, simplicity and flexibility. Thunderbolt I/O technology lets you move data between your devices and your computer with 2 channels of 10Gbps flowing both ways (upstream and downstream) at the same time. And it allows you to connect as many as 6 devices, daisy chained, through a single compact port.
- How does Thunderbolt technology work?
- Both a PCI Express* bus and a DisplayPort* are connected to a Thunderbolt controller. Simultaneously, traffic from both buses are packetized and transmitted over the Thunderbolt cable to a controller in a downstream device. Full bandwidth is flowing in both directions at the same time allowing more bandwidth and low overhead equaling greater responsiveness. Dual protocols allows connectivity to more devices and to multi-function devices.
- When can I buy Thunderbolt enabled devices? And, what vendors are offering Thunderbolt products?
- Thunderbolt enabled devices and PCs are available now. Go to www.thunderbolttechnology.net and select “Products” for a full listing.
- How can I become a Thunderbolt Developer?
- Submit your interest in developing Thunderbolt technology products here.
- Who do I contact for Press and Analyst Inquiries?
- For Press and Analyst inquiries, please contact Dave Salvator at email@example.com.
Thunderbolt Technology at a Glance
- Simultaneous bi-directional, 10 Gbps transfers over a single cable
- Dual-protocol support (PCI Express* and DisplayPort*)
- Compatible with existing DisplayPort* devices
- Daisy-chaining devices
- Choice of electrical or optical cables
- Low latency with highly accurate time synchronization for professional audio and video applications
- Uses native protocol software drivers
- Power-over-cable for bus-powered devices